Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Yummy New Recipe

Tried a new recipe for dinner tonight. Actually got the recipe from my friend Sarah's blog, but I made some changes. Originally it was called Balsamic Crockpot Chicken, but since I don't have a crockpot, it became stove top chicken. Photo is a little blurred. Guess I was a little too close!


Here's the recipe and then I'll tell you how I changed it.

Balsamic Crockpot Chicken
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 14.5 oz cans diced or crushed tomatoes
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, medium chopped
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon each: dried oregano, basil, and rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
ground black pepper and salt to taste


For the two of us I cut the recipe in half, except I used 2 teaspoons olive oil instead of one tablespoon. I used two chicken breasts, which I cut in half. I'm in the habit of doing that as a means to cut back on the quantity of food we eat. It's actually a very fine portion and in this case it's a two-fer. I have another meal. There was ample sauce for two meals.

I lightly browned the chicken breast in the oil in a medium skillet. (TV chef Anne Burrell says that browned food tastes better! Agreed! More flavor!) Layer sliced onions over chicken, then herbs, chopped garlic, and salt and pepper. Pour vinegar over all and then tomatoes. Covered with a lid and cooked at a very low simmer about 1 hour, until thermometer read 180 degrees.

I served this over thin wheat spaghetti and made two little garlic breads by cutting a small dinner roll in half, making garlic butter and putting it under broiler at last minute. Delish!!

Lots of garlic so opened a chilled can of pears for a sweet finish.

Pretty tasty!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good with the chicken browned...I didn't get mine in the crock pot in time, and so, I baked it in the oven for about 40 minutes. It turned out well, & we both agreed it was a "keeper" recipe :). Glad you guys liked it as well....

    ReplyDelete