Monday, January 30, 2012

Weekend Treats

I started the weekend by baking scones on Saturday Morning. I've never made them before but my friend, Marilyn, made them for Bible study last Wednesday and they were so wonderful! I had to give them a try. When some of us were at breakfast on Friday we talked about variations some had made/recommended. Janice made them with chopped dates and Greek yogurt (in place of the sour cream). Someone suggested dried cherries with almond extract. I'm going to try them with blueberries and lemon when Jeremy, Renee, and Maddie come to visit. Oh my, the possibilities are endless!


Here's the recipe. It's "Simple Scones" from allrecipes.com, with alterations.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon orange zest (I used zest of a whole orange)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used regular), FROZEN
1/2 cup raisins, craisins, fruit of choice
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg

Glaze: powdered sugar with a little orange juice, enough to drizzle.

Freeze one stick of butter the night before you plan to bake.
Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients. Add zest and stir with a fork until distributed throughout. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater. (I left wrapper on the end to hold on to so butter wouldn't melt in my hand). Use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal). This is the important part - DO NOT work mixture too much. Resulting dough will be "tough". You don't want butter pieces to melt. Stir in fruit.

In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour until  large dough clumps form. Use you hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. The dough will be sticky in places and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together. Again, don't work dough too much!

Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7" - 8" circle and about 3/4" think. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, about 1" apart. Bake until golden, about 15-17 minutes. Cool for 5-7 minutes, drizzle glaze and serve warm or at room temperature.

NOTE: I wanted to "plump" the craisins, so I squeezed about 1 tablespoon of fresh orange juice into a small pan. Brought to a boil, added craisins, took off heat and covered with foil for about 2 minutes. Poured the small amount of juice into the sour cream mixture for more flavor.

One final note, be careful not to over-bake. I probably could have taken out of oven 2 minutes earlier.

Delicious!!!

Then I made cookies to take to Doug and Sue's for pizza and games. I made friend, Debby's, "Men's Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies". First time I haven't made the traditional "Toll House" recipe.


Here's her recipe:

Men's Favorite Chocolate Cookies

Mix together until well blended:
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

In another bowl mix together:
3.5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Add dry ingredients to sugar/egg mixture. Add: 1 cup nuts (or more!) and 2 cups chocolate chips

Drop by rounded spoons onto baking sheet. (Debby lines hers with foil.) Bake 15 minutes in preheated 325 degree oven. Very soft and delicious!



Rich had signed me up for a Texas Sheet Cake for the Newton Children's Choir Chili-Supper and Concert, which is tonight. (He is President of the Board.) So to top off the weekend, I made my sister, Cheryl's Chocolate Buttermilk Cake, which I think she acquired from her daughter-in-law. Actually it's also known as Texas Sheet Cake.

Here's that yummy recipe:

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake

Place in a large bowl:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Put in a saucepan:
2 sticks butter
4 tablespoons dry cocoa
1 cup water

Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients. Let cool slightly and add:
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 unbeaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Blend and beat well. Bake in a 12"x18"x1" baking sheet pan which has been sprayed with non-stick baking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Don't overbake!

Icing:
Place in a saucepan:
1 stick butter
4 tablespoons dry cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup buttermilk.
Bring to a boil. Add 1 lb. powdered sugar while still warm. Beat until smooth. Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans (my addition!). Spread over cake.

Baking is one of my favorite things to do. I find it very relaxing! But oh, the calories, sugar, flour isn't terrific for us. But what's a girl going to do???

Hope you enjoy one or more of these recipes!

1 comment:

  1. Those scones were scrumptious and I can't wait to make them too. I need to give credit for those cookies to Diane Walter who gave me the recipe. I haven't made any other type since that one! Yum! And I have made the buttermilk sheet cake too. We call it "Aunt Helen's chocolate sheet cake". Ha! Lots of names I guess for that one!

    ReplyDelete