Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Legacy

One of the things Rich especially loves is hearing from former students! In addition to telling about their lives today, they frequently will mention "The Crochet Project". Seems as though they either loved it or NOT. If you remember in the 1970s-1980s, granny square afghans were very popular, so for several years Rich would teach his students how to crochet. Apart from learning a craft it also was a good teaching tool for gifted kids who didn't always see a project through to completion because they didn't like it or it didn't turn out the way they expected. But in Mr. Dewey's class, students were expected to finish the work!

Just this week he heard from a young woman who was in his 6th grade class, many years ago. This is what she said ... "I thought you would like to know I started a business this summer with my mom and I have you to thank for it. Check out the www.warmthorwhim.com. I remember how much I hated crocheting in your class, but if not for that, I wouldn't have the business. I also ended up becoming a teacher. Year 13:) My students from my first year are almost out of college now!"




Wow! Isn't that amazing! Check out her website, www.warmthorwhim.com. You will see the gorgeous scarves she has crocheted. Three of my favs are the Bubble Shawl (shown in orange, but wouldn't it be great in black!) and the cobalt blue Simplicity and off-white Intertwined scarves.


So, we never know how we impact the lives of others, whether they be young students or our peers. May we always be up for the challenge! The rewards are great!


1 comment:

  1. We never know our impact - good or bad. My devotions this morning from 1 Tim 4 about being an example in our speech, in our lives, in loving, in faith and purity. Of course, I could never see Rich being anything but a great example!!

    ReplyDelete