Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Geraniums

I've taken last year's geraniums out of hibernation! I did this last year after a friend's suggestion and it worked great, so here we go again.

In October-November I took the plants out of their pots. (You can't enjoy them all year long here in KS like you can in CA!) Leaving a clump of dirt on each one, I put a couple of plants in a brown grocery bag. Had eight bags in all. Took them to our warm, always dark mechanical room in the basement. In February  I took them up to the garage to begin acclimating to a cooler environment.


My make-do garden work bench! I put them loosely in pots, gave them a good drink of water and let them have sunshine and fresh air for a few hours. I'll repeat this process for a few weeks and then when new growth appears, I'll trim them back and give them some good soil. It will be fun to see how they come back to life!


And this is how they look today! Dead stuff cut away, fresh potting soil, a drink of water and some plant food! It's been cool, cloudy, and rainy, which we don't complain about, especially the rain, but like us, they are waiting for some warm sunshine! I ended up with 11 nice plants. I can hardly wait until their beautiful red  blossoms appear and I'm counting the pennies I saved in new plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment