Saturday, April 14, 2012

CELEBRATE!

Today was the MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) Relief 5K Run/Walk. Esther and Moira ran it last year and Brett, Audrey, Isabel, and I joined them this year. I decided that this would be a GREAT way to celebrate my fast-approaching 70th birthday. If I had a bucket list, this would be on it! We are expecting very severe weather, but the morning was actually great for a race, cool, slight breeze, overcast. Didn't the girls look cute in their race outfits? They found them in their Easter baskets.

It was a little chilly - for me, Rich said I was the only one "bundled up!" :)

Isabel and I had planned to walk, while the rest of the family was running.  While waiting to begin, I said to Isabel, "Now remember you have to keep up with me. It will be a fast walk!" Her response ... a big smile. At the Go!, we both took off running. I ran a few yards and she was gone. I didn't see her again until she had made the turn and was running back to the finish line! So much for keeping up with ME!

Brett and Esther ready to go.

Rich was so good to get up very early to get me to the race. He watched Maeve while the race was on and was the photographer du Jour!

Esther was first of the family in with a time of 26.27! This was a tune-up for a half-marathon which she will do the end of April.

Next was Moira who took first place in her division with a time of 28.11.

Then Isabel who took third place in her division with a time of 42.37. I hear that when she got and home and was to take a bath that she wanted to wear her medal!

Audrey finished with a time of 45.44. She reached her New Year's goal of running in a 5K!

Brett's calf muscle popped during the race, so he waited near the turn-around point and was the cheerleader for each of us. When Audrey, who had begun to walk, reached that point, he walked a bit with her and then asked, "are you walking or running?". Without missing a beat she said "running" and took off for the finish line. He waited for me and we finished walking together. What a delight for me! See those two girls behind us??? We actually passed them, so I can say I passed two walkers! I probably wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for Brett, who had pointed out that we were gaining on them.

I returned with a time of 56.53. My goal was to do the walk under 60 minutes. I beat my goal! Brett has challenged me to do it in under 50 minutes next year. I said let's do it in "5's", so under 55 it will be.

Brett finished with a time of 56.58. I wish I would have been a "good Mom" and finished with him!

What a great day! And now we prepare and watch for what are predicted to be "life-threatening" storms. Oh, Lord God, please protect us!

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed Carolyn! That's a long time to walk! where was the race? Hutch? Did you make it to the MCC sale? The weather was ugly wasn't it?? So thankful to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The race was at Rice Park. Wanted to go to the sale but we headed straight for home because of the weather. Hope to do it again next year!

    ReplyDelete