Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bible Study Brunch

I hosted brunch for my Bible study on Wednesday.

Here's what I served:
Chili Cheese Souffle, deviled eggs, Sour Cream Coffee Cake, Cheese Crispies, and a fruit bowl. A couple of years ago I won second prize in the Wichita Eagle Holiday Cookbook contest for the Chili Cheese Souffle. I gave credit for it to my sister, Kathy. When my sister, Cheryl, heard about about it she said, "that was my recipe!". Well I think I'll rename it Sisters' Chili Cheese Souffle. The prize? $50 gift card to a restaurant in Wichita so when Kathy came for a visit she, Rich, and I went there for dinner. The recipe for the Cheese Crispies is Cheryl's. They are a yummy little savory bite to serve as an appetizer or as call them, a "go with". I've had the recipe for the coffee cake for years. It came from a lady in the church where Rich served as choir director when we were first married.

Here are recipes.

Sisters' Chili Cheese Souffle
1/2 cup melted butter
10 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Dash salt
2 4-ounce cans diced Ortega chilies (not jalapenos)
1 pint cottage cheese
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400 deg. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray. Beat eggs. Add butter then dry ingredients. Mix well. Stir in chilies and cheeses. Mix well. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until nicely browned and set. Serves 15.

Cheese Crispies
1 stick butter - at room temperature
1 cup sharp grated cheese
1 cup flour
1 cup Rice Krispies
Dash Tabasco

Blend butter and cheese with mixer. Add Tabasco. Add flour and then rice krispies. It will be best to blend together with your hands. Shape into 1" balls and place on ungreased baking sheet. Press tops with a fork to flatten. Bake 15-20 minutes, 325-350 degrees. Makes about 20. I usually double the recipe. Store in air tight container. I layer with waxed paper.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
2 sticks butter
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs - well beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt

Streusel:
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I actually used 1 cup)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cocoa

Mix streusel and set aside. Grease and flour a 10" tube pan or a Bundt pan. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well. Batter will be fairly stiff. Place half of batter in pan. Add half of streusel. You can swirl lightly with a toothpick. Add rest of batter and streusel. Lightly swirl with toothpick. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack. To serve be sure top of cake was the top in the pan. You can dust with powdered sugar, but I usually don't. Serves 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment