Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

To all my friends and family who are mothers, hope you've had a lovely day!

Yesterday a box was delievered to me from berries.com. On the outside of the box was this message: "Warning: Once this box is open the contents may disappear immediately." It was a precious gift and card from Jeff, Caroline, Cole, Jordyn, Lauren, Katelyn, and Allison. I have to tell you that one of Caroline's gifts is gift-giving! She picks the perfect, thoughtful gift - everytime.

This is what was inside!

Gorgeous! They will be dessert after church on Sunday!

Saturday afternoon was the mother-daughter tea at church. Esther, Moira, Audrey, and Isabel were my guests. Another family of women joined us at our table.

The little girls looked so cute and had such nice manners! They loved drinking from the cups that they have always admired from the china cabinet.


I decorated my table with an "old-fashioned" theme. I made a table topper of a pastel flower fabric which I laid over a white cloth. Then I placed my crocheted table cloth over that. The center piece stand was my cake plate which I draped with a crochet piece fom Esther's mom. The center piece was a tea pot from my Dad that I filled with roses, carnations, and other pink/white flowers. I wrapped the silverware in the print fabric and tied it with multi-colored rick rack. (A blast from the past!) The little name card/favors were little white boxes filled with candy and also tied with rick rack. They were sort of my take on "May baskets", since May Day had just passed and that was a sweet memory from my childhood. My dishes were purchased at an antique store here in town a few years ago. They are sandwich glass from the 30's and I have really enjoyed them for several functions. Plate is pefect for a tea. Each guest had a different cup/saucer from my collection. The table decor pieces were also from my collection.

The silver tea pot was from a coffee service wedding gift. My very first cup and saucer is the hanging dark red. It was from my Grandma as a gift from one of their trips to Canada. The little light blue tea pot with flowers is a tea bag holder that I purchased as a souvenier from the tea shop that my sisters and I went to last October.


Rich picked up the miniature red Cloisonne pots from our trip to China. To their left is a miniature cup and two plates, also from my Grandma. The miniature blue and white floral tea pot is from our trip to England and to the left of that is a miniature tea set from China, complete with a hibachi and pot, tea pot and three tiny cups, which sit atop a round holder where loose tea would have been stored. Because my china cabinet is getting so full, any additions are miniature pieces. There are more lovely, but fragile, family pieces in my collection, but they will remain at home.

Now it is Sunday! Mother's Day! We went to church with Brett and Esther and the girls. Brett began a several-week teaching from 1 Peter. He is such a wonderful teacher and scholar and gave such interesting background for this book of the Bible to put it in it's historical context. I 'm inspired to do some reading in this book.

Esther chose our lunch place, "Sit @ Thai Bistro", on 21st, not far from their church. The Thai family who own it came from Los Angeles about 18 months ago. It's a sweet place, with room to expand and with very yummy food. What a treat to eat something different and delicious! Rich and Brett had the spicy version of chicken cashew nuts. They were on fire! Esther loved her spicey curry. I had pad thai, also very yummy! Rich and I visited Thailand in 2004 and thought we'd eaten our lives' quota of Thai food, but this we'll go back for.

We came back to our house for dessert - those fabulous chocolate covered strawberries. What a hit! Thank you Jeff, Caroline, Cole, Jordyn, Lauren, and Allison. As as we were enjoying this treat, who should call but Jeff and Jeremy! What a lovely day!





Think it's time for another DELICIOUS strawberry!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful table, Carolyn! Wish we could have gone too, but it was too crazy with the week I had. Love the little tea cups!

    ReplyDelete