Sunday, March 6, 2011

Happy Anniversary to US!

Today is our 46th wedding anniversary! Wow! Where have the years gone? In four years we will celebrate 50! It U.S.E.D. to seem that anyone celebrating 50 years of marriage was REALLY old. Certainly doesn't seem so anymore! :))


We were married at Valley Park Baptist Church in Sepulveda, CA, which is in the San Fernando Valley portion of Los Angeles. The church had recently built a new sanctuary and we were the first couple married in it.

Our wedding party consisted of:
Best Man: Rich's brother, Bob
Groomsmen: Westmont College friends - Dale, roommate; John, Greg, Bob, three of Westmont Quartet that Rich accompanied on piano (other Quartet member Steve, was our soloist). John, Greg, Bob, Steve went on to sing on Lawrence Welk and were known as The Blenders.
Candlelighters: My brothers, Steve and Joel - before their growth spurts
Maid of Honor: My sister, Cheryl
Bridesmaids: My sister Kathy, high school friend Sharon, cousin Suzanne, sister-in-law Carolyn

In "those days" the girls wore little hats. I loved these, but "one of the girls" said they looked like oatmeal box lids. Actually they were very cute, round, same fabric as dress with a little veil in back and bow on top. Sort of Jackie Kennedy-like.  The girls carried roses and sweet peas, as did I along with butterfly orchids. It was really quite beautiful. The orchids were removable for the corsage I wore with my "going-away outfit". Oh, my how times have changed!!

Oh, I should also say that the guys were very handsome in their "tails"!

After a cake and punch reception at church we went back to my parents' home for more food and we opened wedding gifts. We spent the weekend at Disneyland. We were to be away a week but were anxious to set up our new home in our new apartment before Rich went back to class at San Fernando Valley State (now California State University Northridge) and teaching piano students, and before I returned to my job as a clerk-typist at North American.


Life has been good. Oh, we've had our ups and downs, who doesn't! But our blessings are like the stars - too numerous to count.

And these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
I Corinthians 13:13

I love you Rich Dewey!
Thank you for loving me!
You are the #1 blessing in my life!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!!! You should have said last night! We could have sung Happy Anniversary to you! And I would have posted on my blog another March 5 celebration! LOVE the photos! Beautiful - and Rich is quite the handsome dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful couple then - and more so now! God bless you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I LOVE your wedding photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations making it this far. For your relationship to last this long is already an achievement. That means you, Rich and Carolyn, are meant to be together forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your picture looks very similar to ours. We're a year behind you. Congratulations! Love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wedding pictures are so fun to see! I love your bridesmaids dresses! Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete