Monday, February 28, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

It has been so cold and dreary - good soup weather. So I made Renee's recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups chicken broth = 1 large can
1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn (10 ounce bag)
4 teaspoons minced chilies (I used 1 4-ounce can diced Ortega chilies)
1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
3 skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced (I used 1 small rotisserie chicken)
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice

Heat oil. Add onions and garlic, saute until tender. Add cumin. Stir. Add broth, tomatoes, corn, chilies. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until corn is tender. Add chicken and simmer until cooked through. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and diced avocado.

Note: Since we weren't eating this all at one sitting, I added cilantro to bowls as we ate it to keep it green, fresh, and flavorful. Also I had to use fresh lemon juice as the limes in my grocer's produce section were HORRIBLE! I told him I couldn't believe he would try to sell them. (Can you tell I was already grumpy with the weather?!??!) Lemons aren't quite the same with cilantro, but at least they do have a bright flavor.

Oh, will Spring ever come?

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I'm sure the fresh grocer department is such a disappointment after living in California!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, Carolyn. Looks yummy. Spring is just around the corner, it just comes in big fits and starts in KS!!

    ReplyDelete