Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011- Off to a Roaring Start!

My Bible study resumed today, after our holiday break. It was so WONDERFUL to be together again. I am still abuzz from our time together today!

Usually there are 10-12 of us, but today just six of us enjoyed a really sweet, intimate time. We are studying the book of Isaiah and most of us are also reading a book series, "Chronicles of the Kings" by Lynn Austin. These fabulous books are fiction, but the characters come from the Bible books of I and II Kings and I and II Chronicles. The narrative quotes are directly from the scriptures and it is wonderful reading. Really makes the Old Testament come alive! Rich is also reading them and is fully engrossed.


Janice, Jenn, Debby, Deb, Ellen, Me

Jenn and Deb hadn't arrived yet for this table photo. Rich and I are still enjoying our Christmas table and it was fun to share it. The gals loved it!

For our Bible study, we rotate meeting at our homes. The hostess prepares brunch and it's always so fun to see what creative menus these talented women come up with. Since I forgot to take photos at the beginning I "set up" this plate and it became my lunch!

Anyway, I made a recipe that I received from my friend Nanci in Ft. Collins. The person who gave her the recipe called it "Baked Oats", but we both agreed that wasn't a very glamorous name (how could you EVER serve BAKED OATS to guests!!), so I changed it to "Breakfast Cake". I knew when I tasted it last August, that whenever Bible study would be my house this is what I would serve. If you are like me and prefer your oats in a cookie rather than a bowl, you might want to try this. It was a big hit. Here's the recipe...

Breakfast Cake
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
6 cups oats (quick or old fashioned, I used quick)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream butter and sugars, add eggs, milk, vanilla. Beat well. Add oats, baking powder, cinnamon. Mix well. Batter will be very thick, heavy. Spray a 9x13 pan and pour batter into it. I lightly sprinkled a little cinnamon and sugar over top. Bake at 350 degrees until firm and golden. It took mine about 40 minutes. After baking you can top with nuts, brown sugar, butter. (I didn't do this because of how I served it, which is how Nanci served it.) Serve with vanilla yogurt, fruit (I used one large bag of frozen and defrosted mixed fruit, one of a berry mix, and also sliced banana), walnuts, almonds and coconut - all toasted.

It really is yummy, very satisfying, and as brunch dishes go, really pretty healthy!

Last Monday evening, along with three other couples, we were dinner guests at Joe and Rosemary's. What a delicious soup supper we had with homemade green bean soup and chili, with all the fixin's! In addition to an abundant table, there was lots of conversation, and a LIVELY game of Pit played by Tim, Rich, Joe, Wayne (not seen), Roger, and Leslie. It was so LIVLEY that the table didn't stay in one place!!  In the photo I can just hear Rich bidding "2,2,2,2,2,2,2"......... and see him waving his cards???  Definitely provided lots of laughter - to say nothing of noise!! A great evening for everyone!

So yes, we know how to jump-start a new year. Good times!! We are blessed!

1 comment:

  1. The breakfast cake was delicious!! I, too, am so glad to be back together after the Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete