Saturday, October 2, 2010

Making Memories!

Yesterday was the last day of half-day kindergarten for Isabel. She's come home to our house every Tuesday-Friday for the last six weeks. Monday she will go full day. We've had lots of fun with her. She and Papa have gone to Taco Bell for lunch on several Wednesdays when I'm at Bible study.

We've played lots of games. One game she and I like is the Memory Game. She's amazing. As Brett said, her brain isn't as cluttered as mine, so she can remember more!


Friday was an early-release day for Moira and Audrey and so they arrived home about 1:45. I wanted to do something fun with the three of them that didn't cost money. Rich suggested a hike on the Sand Creek Trail, near Bethel College, here in North Newton. They were excited. Audrey suggested they write down the things they saw. Great idea! So I put water and necessary stuff in my backback and we drove to the trail.

It's a lovely trail, easy walking, covered in wood chips so it's not dusty. It's very wooded with many different species native to Kansas.


They ventured off to explore but came to a cliff so returned to the trail.



Moira and Audrey loved running ahead, but that freaked out Isabel. She was so afraid we would lose them. The trail goes in a giant loop around much of the Sand Creek and we went about half way around before turning back.

When we returned to town the girls were surprised to see how the creek widened and became much deeper. Great observation!

We came across this little memorial to someone's beloved dachshund. Moira read the writing and all went. "Ohhhhh".

 This post marked a high water mark during heavy rain this past June 13.  I'm such a poor judge of distance but it was a long way. The next photo the creek is in lower portion, between the two forked branches, and water went all the way up the bank and over the trail. Quite a distance!


On the way back, Mo wanted to run ahead so the rest of us walked, taking a little break whenever we came to a bench. I was trudging ahead, watching the path carefully (so I wouldn't trip/fall and re-injure my ankle) and just focussing on catching up with Mo. When I heard a giggle, I turned around and there were Isabel and Audrey sitting on a bench up the bank when I went hiking right by them. They were very proud of themselves that they had fooled me and thought it was quite hilarious!





So how do you end a very fun afternoon, why with a trip to Sonic, of course. Mo asked if they could order ANYTHING. Sure. Pure pleasure - all the way around.

3 comments:

  1. We love that trail too! Nothing like being a spoilin' nana!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had had a grandma like you! You're great, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is all of that!!!! The little boy, also a kindgergartner, that I've been watching for six weeks is also no longer going to be coming over here, and I'm actually kind of sad. It was kind of fun having him around, and Luke certainly enjoyed having him around. We too went on that trail in the last six weeks...And, your little granddaughter has the same teacher as the little boy I was watching (Collin H.).

    ReplyDelete