Saturday, June 23, 2012

California May 2012 - The Last Hurrah

We spent three wonderful nights with another set of dear Newbury Park friends, Rick and Janet. We've been friends since early 1970's and being in their home was just like old times. They blessed us with such love and wonderful hospitality! Being back in the old neighborhood was such a joy! Mah-ve-lous, dahling, simply mah-ve-lous! :)

Rich was treating for lunch and so we headed to the Ventura Harbor with Rick and Janet. It was cool and overcast, but we loved it. Had lunch at one of our favorite places, Andria's Seafood Market and Restaurant.


Rick and Janet


Fish and chips! Janet and I shared this huge portion! Fresh fish from the ocean - can't get any better than that!

Our last day we met up with John and Lucy for brunch at BJ's (one is coming to Wichita!!). Our schedules were tight, so there wasn't as much time as we would have liked, but every minute spent with these two couples is so fun!! How we miss their laughter! No matter how serious a situation can be, they find the humor. Talk about being restored! Love all of you!

Up bright and early - like 5 am!!!! - ugh! - and we were on the road back home. Every time we drive through Utah we get a renewed appreciation for its beauty. We've stopped at this rest stop before (where we purchased a Navajo vase and some jewelry for me) and it's always so peaceful.

The red sandstone formations are so varied and beautiful.


And of course, Colorado - my second favorite state. Did I say that already??? Another day's drive and we would be home.

In three weeks we drove 3630 miles, and yes, I do some of the driving. I'll drive Rich's vehicle as long as it's on the open highway (it's not so easy for me to handle in city driving). To help me stay awake I've taken to keeping track of vehicle license plates. It's fun to see how many states I can find. On this trip we saw license plates from every state except Hawaii, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia. Also saw vehicles from British Columbia and Alberta, Canada, as well as Baja California. I think that's quite amazing!

We are so blessed to be able to take such a wonderful trip! Now it's back to reality - living a rich and busy life. We are looking forward to visits from friends later this summer and a return trip to Colorado.

Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot of miles...and, we do the license plate game as well when we travel. Marc & I are fairly competitive...on our last trip back in March, I actually won by one state. SO, Marc had to buy me some ice cream from Sonic!

    ReplyDelete