Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Friend Susan

My dear friend, Susan, passed away in December after a long and courageous battle with cancer. Today her family is hosting a Celebration of Life service. Sadly, I am not able to make the trip to California and so I will share some of my treasured memories here.

Susan and I met in 1978 at Rockwell International Air Monitoring Center. I had been employed there for about a year as a secretary in the Marketing Department and Susan came in as a secretary for the Purchasing Department. Our sons were at the same schools and played in some of the same sports, both of us were Iowan-born (which she took great pride in). We were both women who balanced home, husbands, sons, and a busy job outside of the home, so we had lots of things in common.

She transferred to the Rockwell Science Center in the early 80s and was instrumental in helping me make my transfer in 1984. There our friendship really flourished. In 1984 we were learning how to use a Mac 56 computer! Boy, were we living on the edge when we moved up to a Mac 128! We were both department secretaries and in 1985 both of us made our way to the "front office", where we supported technical directors and their direct reports. We became a strong team, along with other administrative assistants in the "front office", helping each other during times of vacation and working hard together on a daily basis. We laughed together and ah, yes, even grumbled together. We all were on the forefront of learning new software programs called Excel and Power Point! Wow!  And this new thing called the Internet and "email"!  "Those were the days"!! Honesty, integrity and a keen sense of ethics were our hallmarks. We became a close knit group, celebrating birthdays, and whatever else.  We worked together until I retired in 1999 and Susan retired a few years later. Since moving to Kansas, I always looked forward to lunch with Susan, Phyllis and Jeannette whenever I returned to CA! Still lots to laugh about!


Here we are in 1995 at a "Happy Hour" in Phyllis's home. Susan is holding the daughter of one of our co-workers. (What do you think of the "stirrup pants"?!?!?!)  We were an "odd-couple", height wise. In heels Susan was nearly 6', and in heels I was, shall we say, height-challenged at maybe 5'5"!


I have so many wonderful memories and I've spent a lot of time trying to sort them out. Two things stand out for me. The first is the great fun Susan and I had in sharing our menus, food preparation and presentation plans for our large family holiday dinners, especially Thanksgiving. She gave me a subscription to Bon Appetite magazine and we shared recipes and ideas. For each of us, no group was too large, in fact I think we were really challenged and motivated by it. Sit-down dinner for 25? No problem!

The second memory I have was travelling vicariously with Susan and her husband John on their many trips, especially to Hong Kong. I loved hearing about her plans and adventures. I was the very fortunate recipient of many lovely pieces of jewelry that she brought back from these expeditions (the stories of getting them through Customs were often hilarious!), and I enjoy wearing them to this day.  I have Susan to thank for my love of really fine jewelry!

Before I moved to Kansas she sorted through her jewelry and gave me a lovely cross of Black Hills gold, because, in her words "she knew I would appreciate it". I was touched! When I wear it, she is especially close to my heart. In addition to the cross, she gave me a gorgeous sterling silver serving spoon that belonged to her Grandmother. I use it at every holiday or "special" meal in her honor! Susan was exceedingly generous, to say the least!

Susan loved flowers and it was especially exciting when John would send huge, gorgeous bouquets to her at work. EVERYONE could tell they were for her. The bouquets were so large that there wasn't room for them in her work space so she left them at the receptionist's desk for all of us to enjoy. SO like her! She loved the color purple, big dogs, chocolate and all things UCLA. She loved HOT weather - like Palm Springs or Las Vegas summer hot. She said she was part lizard!

I worked with Susan for over 20 years and will remember her as a gracious, dignified, elegant woman. She had been a model and was as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside! She was a loyal friend with a caring and generous heart, open ears, wise and perceptive mind, a discreet tongue, and a ready smile. She had a fierce love for her family of sons and her girls and grandchildren, which also extended to her brother and family, aunts, uncles, cousins, and their children. She was a deeply devoted daughter. Susan had the capacity to make EVERYONE feel as though THEY were her best friend. She was my best friend at RSC, indeed!  For me, she was the epitome of a real lady and I miss her deeply.

Farewell, my Friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment