Thursday, February 16, 2012

Geese!!!

When I opened up the drape over our kitchen slider this morning this is what I saw!! The farmer's wheat field across the road was filling up with geese!! Man-a-live they were coming from every direction.


Since I was going to the gym, I turned the other direction to take these pics. Counted 20-50 in every flock. The sound of their honking and flapping of wings was incredible. The white ones are snow geese. We were told that they don't usually integrate with the Canadians. Well, I guess this wheat buffet was too good to keep them apart! :)

I've never seen so many in one field. Rich suggested that one of them "tweeted" the others. They certainly got the "call". And I came away without being "bombed" on, although my shoes were very muddy from tromping around in the field. Bet the farmer wouldn't appreciate that!!


Any way, the sight of the geese is one of the things that gives some "charm" to this place. They are fascinating to watch.

3 comments:

  1. We tried to count them as they came to the field south of us - and knew there were around 1,000!!! And that was the day after the hunters were there shooting them! My car got plastered on at Awana last night so went through the car wash today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured this phenomenon so beautifully, Carolyn. It has been amazing to watch. Maybe someone could make a movie like "Flight of the Geese" or some such title. Think "March of the Penguins." :)

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were THOUSANDS of them flying over as we walked out of church today. Absolutely the most we've ever seen. They are amazing!

      Delete