Sunday, October 30, 2011

Loving Fall! - Part 1

What a beautiful fall season we've had. Actually, this is the first fall I've been home in the last three years and I've totally enjoyed it. But the weather is changing (it's been down to freezing!) and so it's been great fun to wrap up the season with a couple of fun activities.

We took a day trip to the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve with our friends Ellen and LeeRoy. They are neighbors, we are in a Community Life group together and Ellen and I are in Bible study and on Mom2Mom leadership team. We also have introduced them to Contract Gin! Anyway ... back to our day trip....

We headed east out of Newton on Highway 50.Took at short ride through the VERY little town of Peabody. It advertises its 1880s Main Street. Drove through a neighborhood with GORGEOUS trees. We all loved the changing of the leaves. Most of the trees around here are cottonwood or elm, which have yellow leaves, so to see the maples with reds and oranges was very beautiful.



Just as my battery flashed red, I realized I failed to bring the bag with new battery with me. I was sick! So I was glad to eke out the few photos of the preserve. So disappointed, as I have wanted to visit here for a long time.

We had lunch at Emma Chase Cafe in another tiny town, Cottonwood Falls. No photos because I was trying to save what battery I had left!

The preserve originally extended up through the Dakotas and into Canada, but over time has diminished considerably. Our Tallgrass Prairie Preserve is the largest in the nation! I should have written down the statistics, but I THINK I remember that it was originally 150 million acres and is now down to 30 million, or is it 5M. At any rate, it's a treasure.

The guide told us the grass is not as tall as it should be due to our lack of rain this year. So sad! He was on the search to find the bison that graze the prairie, but they were not to be found on this tour. This is part of the Kansas Flint Hills, which are beautiful in every season. The soil is only about 18-24" deep, and then it is the flint, so it is best for grazing. The Flint Hills are known for the very large ranches where cattle do especially well.


This was a working ranch in the 1800's. You can take a self-guided tour of the Victorian-styled house. Next to the house is the root cellar and storm cellar, which were connected by an underground passage way. Also close to the house was the 3-seater limestone "necessity" house. The fanciest outhouse I've ever seen! An ice house and other "out buildings" were also nearby.

The views were spectacular!

We walked through the massive limestone barn. This farm was quite an operation in its day!

You can see the limestone walls, which aren't going anywhere, anytime soon!

You can "see forever", no matter the view!



The sun began to drop as we headed back home. A great fall day, out enjoying the beauty of God's magnificent creation!

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't that so fun?! Glad to re-live it in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love us our Flint Hills!! They are every bit as beautiful as some of their bigger sisters!!

    ReplyDelete