Friday, August 13, 2010

A Birthday Cake Disaster!

A chocolate landslide! What a M.E.S.S.!!! It looks DISGUSTING!



Last night I began to put together Rich's birthday cake so it would be ready for tonight when Brett and family come for his birthday dinner. Actually I had baked it earlier in the week and carefully packaged it for the freezer. I thought I would make it especially yummy by adding a chocolate filling between some of the layers - like when I took cake decorating some 30 years ago. So I first put down a dab of frosting in the middle of the plate to keep the first layer in place, then placed strips of waxed paper onto the plate - that's to keep the plate clean while I frost. HA! What a laugh!

Well, I knew I was in trouble when I began to split the layers - cracks appeared! (I always split two layers into four - for a taller more impressive cake. Everyone loves it!) So I added some frosting "glue" and all seemed to be OK. Then came another cake layer and filling. Oh my, slip 'n slide. Added another cake layer - split. More frosting "glue". This was ridiculous!! That waxed paper - it actually finally helped to hold the whole mess together!

What you see on the white plate is actually the top. It just fell off into my hands into those chunks! My hands were covered in chocolate frosting.

What to do???? All I could think of was to rush it to the freezer and deal with it this morning. Well the freezer is in the garage and last night - thanks to our B.R.U.T.A.L. heat - our garage was 100 degrees! How does one hold a cake together with one chocolate hand, carry it on a glass platter, open/close doors and get it in the freezer with another chocolate hand? Very quickly and gingerly.

The laughable thing about all of this???? I was watching/listening to my favorite TV channel, The Food Channel. And would you believe the program airing then was "Ace of CAKES"!!! They were designing and preparing a Humpty Dumpty cake. What a L.A.U.G.H. I had the R.E.A.L. thing in my own kitchen!

Rich just laughed!!

So this morning I took the cake from the freezer and the plate of the top from fridge and tried to put it back together. This is what it looks like. HARDLY a work of art!


A nice rich, MOIST cake - cut - or SCOOP it into bowls, top with vanilla ice cream and everyone should get a good laugh - and be happy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a disaster I would do! It really looks yummy though!!! Top it with ice-cream and how delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are always..."It tastes way better than it looks!"

    ReplyDelete