Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Recent Travels - Part 3

Sisters!

My sisters and I had some precious times together on my last trip to California. Much of our time was spent in caring for and being with our Mom and giving her all the love we could. It had been three years since Cheryl and I were able to coordinate our trips, so this was very special time, indeed!

Mom asked us to divide her jewelry and that gave us some sweet moments of trying things on, reminiscing and making thoughtful decisions. We all came home with some precious, old pieces as well as newer. Several years ago, when Mom's vision was still somewhat good, she wrote notes on many things, jewelry included. Things such as dates received, who it originally belonged too, etc. These notes are precious parts of our family history! Something that was also very special was that we also gave some of Mom's things to our precious sister-in-law, Nancy. Mom calls Nan her little angel - her 4th daughter. She's been so good to Mom and we love her SOO much! It was a time we three will always remember, I'm sure.

That prompted more cleaning and sorting with lots of memories and laughter. My brother-in-law John tackled the garage. He was our hero as he cleaned and organized. One of the items he uncovered was our childhood cookie jar!



Cheryl, Kathy and I all remembered that as little girls we loved putting our little fingers in the indentations of the painted design as it circled the jar. All three of us would have loved to take it home, but Cheryl and I were flying home with no room in our bags so we agreed Kathy should take it. It will grace her patio table. Ah, sweet memories!

And yes, I was as exhausted as I look! It was quite a grueling trip and yet I wouldn't have exchanged a single moment! We all worked very hard but we laughed a lot too! My brothers, sisters and I had wonderful times sitting at the kitchen table, laughing and sharing memories from years past.

The last day we three girls went to the Rose Tea Garden in Pasadena for a marvelous afternoon tea. Cucumber with mint, egg salad with watercress and chicken salad sandwiches - all so yummy. Scones and sweets were delicious. We had considerably more than we could eat and so we took some home to Mom for her enjoyment.

The tea shop is in a lovely old building in Old Pasadena. It is also a flower shop so the aromas were delightful. It was a great "Sista Day" and just what we all NEEDED!



To have a sister to love is to have a relationship unlike any other! To my sisters - I love you loads - and treasure our times together!

1 comment:

  1. After being apart from my sis for 47 yrs, I treasure any time we get to spend together. I'm blessed to have 1 sister, you are definitely double blessed! There is NOTHING like sisters, is there? Mom had 5, with 3 left, and they are still pretty close.

    ReplyDelete